How to Obtain an Immigration Visa For Your Fiance

A fiancé visa, also known as a K-1 visa, is available to non-citizens who are engaged to or intend to marry a citizen of the United States. A K-1 visa grants the alien a one-time entry into the U.S.; the person cannot be granted re-entry after their initial stay.

Within the last two years prior to application, the two people involved in the engagement must have met in person. Also, the marriage must be legally possible under the state laws where the marriage is to take place. After the K-1 visa has been granted, the foreign citizen has 6 months to enter the U.S. After entry, they then have 90 days to marry the U.S. citizen.

Filling for a K-1 Visa

In order to get a K-1 fiancé visa, the U.S. citizen must file Form I-129F, “Petition for Alien Fiance”, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After the form has been processed, the USCIS will send it to the embassy or consulate of the home country of the fiancé. If the petition is approved by the consulate, the alien then has four months in order to apply for a K-1 visa.

Schengen Visa Countries List

K-1 Fiance Visa Requirements

The non-citizen fiancé is required to submit the following information to the embassy:

  • A valid birth certificate
  • A passport which is valid for up to six months after entry in the U.S.
  • A police certificate verifying all places of residence since age 16
  • A medical examination
  • Evidence verifying capability of financial support
  • Evidence of an existing and valid engagement relationship- this may be proved by photographs of the two people together, receipts or ticket stubs showing that the U.S. citizen visited the fiancé, etc.
  • Visa Application forms for Nonimmigrant Visa and Non-Immigrant Fiance Visa (Form DS-156 and Form DS-156K)

Applying for Permanent Resident Status after Marriage

A K-1 visa does not provide the non-citizen with permanent residence in the U.S. It only provides a one-time entry into the U.S. for purposes of marrying the citizen. The non-citizen fiancé may apply for permanent residency after marriage by applying for a marriage visa.

After marriage, the alien should file USCIS Form I-485, “Application to Register Permanent Residence”. Also, their citizen spouse needs to file USCIS Form I-864, “Affidavit of Support”. Once these petitions are approved, the USCIS will grant the alien a conditional green card.

The alien can finally receive permanent resident status after 2 years from the time of approval of the two forms. They can do this by filing to remove their conditional green card status using Form I-751. The non-citizen applicant must have either been married for at least 2 years, or, they must be divorced from a marriage made in good faith. The couple must demonstrate that their marriage was not made for the purposes of sidestepping immigration requirements.

Related Posts


Online Poker Sites


Natural Latex Foam Mattresses: A Healthy Alternative to Memory Foam


An Explanation of Casino Slot Tournaments


Profits With Online Sports Betting

No Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *